Friday, June 22, 2012

"Becoming a Man and Coming Unto Christ"

Hey Fam!

It has definitely been a very full week this week. I just want to thank everyone so much for all of the letters. It makes my day when the District Leader, Elder Andersen, hands me my letters for the day at 9pm every night except Sunday.  I love reading how everything is going back home and also what my friends have said that they are doing. 

I'll start the weekly summary with Friday the 15th.  After I was able to email home last Friday morning, I was able to take a nice nap and just catch up on some sleep.  In the afternoon, I did my laundry and cleaned up a little bit.  Friday night, my comp and I had the opportunity to teach Luis, one of our Investigators.  I can't remember if I told you about him, but he's a member of the 7th Day Adventists Church.  They believe that Saturday is the day for worship.  It's a great challenge teaching him because he is a little tougher Investigator. We taught the Plan of Salvation to Luis as this was the second time teaching him.  Alot of time that we took up (since we only have 30 minutes per lesson) was answering his questions that he had about the Book of Mormon and why we need it in our lives. We read a few scriptures and had a discussion about it and Luis finally realized the importance of it.  We challenged Luis to read and pray to know if it's true and he said that he would do so.   We got three new Elders in our District as well! Our room is pretty cramped, but that's alright.  We are all here to learn the doctrine, Spanish and how to become better teachers. Their names are Elder Sanderson, Elder Smith and Elder Holmstead.  Elder Smith is from Highlands Ranch and is one of Chase's (Elder Jenson's cousin) good friends, so that's kind of cool.

Saturday, one of our classes was centered on weekly planning and how to do that effectively with your companion. 

Sunday, was an interesting day as I said in my journal.  Sunday morning we had Priesthood from 9-10am.  President Tyler gave an incredible lesson on faith.  He showed the scripture in Proverbs 3:5-6 where it says to "trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding." I love that scripture and I was really glad to be a part of that lesson.  After the lesson we had a little study time and then lunch.  Our Sacrament was from 1:45-2:45.  After the Opening Song, Prayer, and Sacrament, President Tyler got up and announced who was speaking this Sunday.  He first said Hermana Jennifer Hansen and then he said the Elder speaking today is Elder Tanner Jenson! My heart was racing. (As soon as President Tyler got up to the pulpit I knew that it was me who would be speaking because he was looking at me the whole time). So, after Hermana Hansen gave a great talk (She's in my District), I got up and gave a talk on the Atonement.  As soon as I was up at the pulpit, I was able to describe what I wanted to describe and give my talk in a way that I hoped the Elders and Hermanas could feel the Spirit.  Lots of people came up to me afterwards and thanked me for my talk and said I did a great job which felt good.  I can feel myself becoming a man and coming unto Christ day by day.  I am learning to love church and look forward to Sundays for the meetings and the chance to learn more about the doctrine of Christ.  Sunday night, we had a great Fireside given by Sheri Dew: President of Deseret Book.  Some things that I liked were about receiving the gifts that God has presented us with and then remembering our covenants we've made with God so that we can have an eternal perspective.  If we always strive to have an eternal perspective, it will be much harder to make mistakes.  If you look at what will be good for you in the near future, you are doomed.  I took tons of notes on her talk and will strive to implement those things in my own life. 

Monday, Elder Nelson and I taught Luis for the third time.  He went to church this last Sunday with us and is really starting to grasp on to the Gospel principles.  I challenged him to be baptized and he said that if he knew that the Church was true in the future, he would definitely do it. There's just a lot of things in his life right now with classes, his parents and the religion he believes (the 7th Day Adventists).  I know that if he truly asked Heavenly Father by faith and with real intent, he will definitely get an answer. 

Tuesday morning is our service morning where we report to 1M, the Main Building, for our service assignment.  My comp and I scrubbed thresholds and dusted pictures thoughout the whole Main Building.  I actually loved doing it. I am developing a love for serving others.  This day was also Hermana Hale's last day with us in our District. She's going to the Guatemala MTC for her remaining 6 weeks. Tuesday, my comp and I didn't teach any lessons which was kind of a bummer because teaching is a lot of fun and I just learn so much! We did prepare to teach Edwin for the next day's appointment on Wednesday. Tuesday night, we had an incredible Devotional given by Lynn G. Robbins of the Seventy.  His talk was mostly on Revelation and how to go about receiving it.  In 3 Nephi 17:3 it states 3 steps needed: Study, ponder and then pray.  He said that when you move past the "reading" of the scriptures and move into the studying and "feasting upon the scriptures", that's when you begin to enter the territory of Revelation.  He taught us to make a study journal where we write down great scriptures we read and also impressions you feel when reading.  Revelation will, most of the time, not happen on your knees.  You have to work for it.  After our Devotional, President Tyler held a meeting with my District to talk about the teaching methods in the scriptures and I think that they are absolutely fantastic: 1. Look for statements like "and thus we see" or "behold" because these indicate doctrine or truth 2. Lists (could be 3 ideas in a single verse sometimes) 3. Repetition: when someone wants to create emphasis 4. Contrasts: can't say good without the bad 5. Cause and Effect statements 6. Read context: if you see a therefore... 7. Study the symbolism, word meanings and cultural background. I have been looking for these teaching methods and marking where these teaching methods take place. It's made a huge difference in my scripture study.

Wednesday Edwin said that he really wants to get baptized and that he has a testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon.  We prepared to teach him all about the Law of Chastity because his girlfriend and he are living with eachother in the same house. You can't be doing that and get baptized.

I don't have any time left, but I will continue my letter on a piece of paper and send it.  I am sending a memory card with pics and videos on it as well so be looking for it. I love you so much!!! And I can't wait to see what you think about this letter and pictures.

Love,
Tan 

2 comments:

  1. Very inspiring letter. It's wonderful to see and feel the spiritual growth taking place as Tanner become "alive in Christ".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading these! I got goosebumps. So glad tanner is loving the mtc.com

    ReplyDelete