Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"ALWAYS TRUST THE LORD!"

October 1, 2012

Hey Family and Friends!

 
Elder Jenson at the Internet Cafe site in Renca where he sends his weekly letters home
 
WE HAD OUR BEST WEEK YET! This week Elder Weigel and I really saw miracles happen. It was such a fun week to be able to witness and expereince these miracles. But first, this is what we achieved this week in the form of numbers!
 
Logros (Achievements)
 
Bautismos  0
 
Confirmaciones  0
 
INVESTIGADORES CON FECHA BAUTISMAL  3
 
INVESTIGADORES QUE ASISTEN A LA REUNION SAC 2
 
Lecciones con miembro  8
 
Otras lecciones  12
 
INVESTIGADORES QUE ESTAN PROGRESANDO  2
 
Referencias recibidas  2
 
Ref contactadas  10
 
Nuevos investigadores  11
 
Lecciones a conv recien menos act.  5
 
Contactos  140 
 
 
Such a good week here in Jose Miguel Infante 3! I put in all caps the numbers that have been 0 for much too long, especially investigators that come to church and investigators progressing (that come to church and have a baptism date). On top of this we had 20 lessons, 11 new investigators (taught one lesson and got a return visit), 140 contacts and 10 ref contacted (when you get a referral, it goes in received and when you contact it, it gets moved to contacted).
 
INVESTIGATORS:
 
 
Milagro=Miracle
 
Carlos:MILAGRO #1!  This past Tuesday, after our District class, Elder Weigel and I were waiting at the bus stop in Cerro Colorado to catch a ride back to our sector to get to work.
 
 Cerro Colorado, Chile
 
I was just looking around and I saw a man that signaled for me to come over to talk to him. I walked over to him and Elder Weigel followed. We met in the middle and started talking a bit. The first thing that he said was,"I want to go to your school."  Being a little confused, I was like "What?"  He repeated the same thing and I was like,"the church?". He nodded his head yes and then proceeded to tell Elder Weigel and I that, "I want to be Mormon!" After hearing that, I smiled thinking to myself, "Ya, I think we can help you with that!" We talked to him for a little longer and found out he has friends that are members of the church. I then asked him for his name and address. "My name is Carlos and I live on the street Poseidon." I was like,"Wait , that's in our sector!!!!" (I just assumed that he was going to live in the sector Cerro Colorado). Elder Weigel and I told Carlos that we would pass by his house the next day. We met with Carlos on Wednesday and taught him the first lesson.  Carlos accepted all of what we said and was loving every minute of our meeting and what we taught him. We've seen Carlos one other time this week as well. We watched the movie of the Restoration and extended him a baptismal date. Before Elder Weigel and I were even done with the invitation, Carlos had already said "YES!!!" Carlos wasn't able to attend Church yesterday because he had to go to the cemetery. Carlos said he'd come with us next week! So crazy and exciting! Carlos's baptismal date is the 21st of October, right before cambios (transfers). Literally, after these past couple of weeks I was feeling like everything was falling apart in our sector. Then, Carlos came. I learned that the Lord will help me. I just have to be patient.
 
Beatriz and Genesis: MILAGRO #2! We taught Beautriz and Genesis the Plan of Salvation this week and they were really receptive.
 
Plan of Salvation in Spanish
 
After teaching them about the Plan of Salvation, Elder Weigel and I extended a baptismal date for the 21st of October. They were a little iffy at first, but after resolving a few doubts of theirs, they told us that they would prepare themselves for October 21st! We then committed Beatriz and Genesis really strongly to coming to church and MILAGRO 3# THEY CAME!!!  They told Elder Weigel and I that they like church a lot. After Sacrament meeting (it's the last hour in our Branch) they stayed to watch a baptism that Elder Huaman (Zone Leader) and Elder Licea (Zone Leader) had in our same Branch.  Beatriz and Genesis enjoyed the baptism as well. I know that they received an answer that this is the true church.
 
Amauri: Elder Weigel and I had some really strong lessons with Amauri this week on the Law of Chastity. Amauri now understands the importance of keeping this commandment and he is going to work as hard as he can to be able to speed up the process with his contract and then getting his carnet so he can get married.(A Carnet (pronounced kar-nay) is an international customs and export-import document. It is used to clear customs without paying duties and import taxes on merchandise that will be re-exported within 12 months.)
 
Carnet Document
 
Amauri has lots of desire to get baptized, it's just going to take a little while.
 
Flor: Every time Elder Weigel and I go to her house and know she's home, she never answers the door. If Flor wants to learn more about the church, sadly she's going to have to put forth some effort, show some interest and contact us.
 
Misc. Info/thoughts:
 
The dearelder system was down this week which meant no letters but I did receive a package with some of my favorites treats-mentos and beef jerky! Thanks!
 
Elder Weigel and I attended Brother Caballero's "Spongebob" themed birthday party!
 
Brother Caballero, Elder Weigel and Elder Jenson eating hamburgers
 

 
Elder Weigel and Elder Jenson loving the Spongebob hats!
 
When I get my haircut in Chile, it's a room in someone's house that basically has a chair or two and a mirror in front of you. The haircuts here are horrible, so I play it safe and just get a buzz cut every time!
 
I thought you'd like to see the Chilean money I carry around with me...
 
 
Monedas(coins in order from left to right): 500 pesos (1 dollar), 100 pesos (20 cents), 50 pesos (dime), 10 pesos (2 cents), 5 pesos (penny), 1 peso (.2cents)
Bills (Paper money): 1000 pesos or un mil (2 dollars), 2000 pesos or dos mil (4 dollars), 5000 pesos or cinco mil (10 dollars), 10000 pesos or diez mil (20 dollars), and 20000 pesos or viente mil (40 dollars)
 
 
Elder Weigel and Elder Jenson with Chilean children in the Jose Miguel Infante 3 Branch
 

 
My favorite scripture for this week is 2 Nephi 2:24..."But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things." Always trust the Lord!
 
 
 
I get to see Conferencia General this week! It's delayed so Priesthood meeting ends at 11pm!
 
The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles invite members and friends of the Church to participate in the 182nd Semiannial General conference on Saturday and Sunday, October 6 and 7, 2012. (Disfrute de reportajes inspiradores y eleve su alma con los discursos de la Conferencia General de la iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias. Escuche los mensajes de la Primera Presidencia, del Quorum de los Doce y demas autoridades generales desde el Centro de Conferencias de Salt Lake City.)
 
President Thomas S. Monson, 16th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
 

 
I hope you enjoy reading my letters and the SD card I sent arrives soon! Hopefully it doesn't get lost in the mail! Hope all is well! I REALLY enjoy reading your letters about your daily activities! I'm so grateful for everyone's support and prayers! Have a great week!
 
Love,
 
Tan
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment